Friday, February 20, 2009

It's Official--no more thumb-sucking!!





I think I can officially declare that Paige no longer sucks her thumb--or any other finger!! It's been a long time coming!! Ever since Paige was a couple of months old, she has sucked her thumb. She was just a baby that needed that comfort, and along with her special soft blankie, would go to sleep so easy! I thought it was so cute as a baby--that wore off a little, the older she got, and the thought of trying to break her of the habit was always in the back of my mind. Once she was approaching two, we decided it was time (her teeth were proof of that). I bought "Thum" at the store and started applying it at bedtime. It helped for a while, then she started sucking her pointer finger. So we put it on both, then she started sucking her middle finger, etc, etc. We were putting "Thum" on all five fingers on BOTH hands. We were going through bottles of the stuff, and I was giving up. Then, my sister Jodi told me about Mavala STOP. Her dentist gave it to her for biting her nails, but it's great for thumb-sucking too. I ordered some online--and I am a BELIEVER!! Anyone with a thumbsucker needs to use this stuff. You only have to apply it once, and it stays on for two days--even with handwashing. I felt like a meanie, and I expected whining or staying up at night, but it never happened. It didn't even seem to phase her. It's been over a month now--and not once has she put a finger near her mouth!! If you have a thumb-sucker or nail biter, just call me--I have a whole bottle of Mavala STOP left!!

8 comments:

Wilson Family said...

my 5 yr old still sucks his thumb and we have tried everything.Do I sound desperate? Yes as a matter of fact I am. It sounds like it is worth a try.If you want to get rid of your extras I might be interested.
Carrie

Jenandgeoffrey said...

Paige is a beautiful little girl, but I don't remeber her as a baby, since we were moving into the ward at the time. She was such a doll! Congrats on breaking her of the habbit. Isn't funny how we take the credit on our kids accomplishments!

kristenhcubed said...

Yipee! I'm glad that battle is over for you. She's sooooo much cuter without a finger in her mouth. Yeah!

Jodi said...

I'm so glad it worked for you (Paige)! STOP is amazing stuff. Congratulations!! ;)

Kim said...

Yea! congrats. It was fun to see old pictures. She's so cute.

Tiffany's Treats and Eats said...

Awesome! I need to try that for the pacifier! Your family is so gorgeous!! I just love that family pic. :)

hatch said...

Kim
Your kids are beautiful! I found your blog from Kari's. I love blogging it is such a fun way to stay in touch with people. I am glad you found something that helped kick the habit.

Anonymous said...

I have the "real" solution, they just need something else to suck and I have something nice and hard those little babies can suck AND they get a tasty treat mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm swallow little one